2-0 Glebe – could have been a cricket score!

After a long journey out west the lads were really looking forward to building on the their recent form of and looking to move up the ladder as they went in to the game second from the bottom after a horrible start to the season loosing their first five matches. The team lined up with Jamie Lyall back in goal, Conor Dunne switching to right back, Gavin and Padraig central defenders with Spiro Left back after his MOM performance in the previous week at right back. The midfield had Adam on the right, Ryu on the left with Bob, Dave and Karl just in front partnering with Johnny.

After watching the reserves get convincingly beaten the boys seemed very focussed on the task in hand. A lot of talk has been branded around about Glebe making a late push for the finals and to do this they must beat all teams in the lower reaches of the table to ensure maximum points moving forward. So the pressure was on the team somewhat especially with Abbortsford Wolves thrashing Bondi away 6-0 – Glebe really needed a win to keep the momentum going. If the boys did manage a victory it would mean that they could climb up two places to 6th in the ladder with 2 games in hand over Abbortsford Wolves who are currently in 5th.

The game started with a bit of sloppy play, lazy touches and general panicking on the ball rather than the fluid free flowing passing style we have seen recently from the gorillas. Possession was given away a fair few times and it took a while for both teams to settle and get in to their groove of passing the ball on the deck. Once the team had settled the chances started to flow for the Gorillas and with those chances came wave after wave of corners from which Glebe came very close to an opening.

Conor Dunne was breaking down the right to good effect and Ryu and Adam seemed to be floating somewhat off each wing making it difficult for the opposition to track their runs. With the ever reliable Scott Arnorld missing from the backline the Gorillas where coping fine with the help of last week’s MOM Spiro filling in at left back and rallying the troops in his 100% manner.

Johnny had one of those days in front of goal where he was showing the skill to beat his man, take the right touch but for some reason his shots just didn’t seem to be coming off whatsoever. After a few really close attempts and the opposition keeper somehow making saves that he didn’t look capable of Glebe finally broke the deadlock with neat passing down the left with Ryu squaring the ball across goal for the onrushing Adam to finish at the back post 1-0 Glebe.

More chances came and more missed right up to the half the Gorillas could quite easily been 4/5-0 up at the half but frustratingly finishing let them down. At half time Graham, Geoff and Matt pretty much said stop playing it from back directly to front, be more patient and play more ball to feet as the team didn’t seem to be relaxing enough on the ball like recent weeks. Credit went to a number of the opposition players but in general the consensus was that the Glebe players were giving the opposition far too much respect and they really needed to take the game to them more rather than sit off.

The start of the second half was more of the same the Gorillas pushed and chance after chance came for the boys but after peppering the bar, post and a number straight at the keeper the game was always in the balance. Graham came on for Dave in the midfield and after a few touches on the ball Graham went in for a tackle to get caught by a horror studs up tackle which caught him in the knee to the anger of the Gorillas. The opposition player was sent off with a straight red but unfortunately for Glebe that really didn’t come to much help to them as Graham was in a bad way and went straight off to later go to the hospital with a suspected torn ACL. The ladies’ man Christophe came on for the injured Graham and slotted in to the middle of the park.

(Complete Joke of a challenge similar to this disgusting tackle by Stevie G)

Again Glebe created chance after chance but nothing seemed to go in Johnny could have bagged himself another couple but the ball just didn’t want to bounce for him and at this stage of the game Glebe really needed that second goal to put the game to bed as at 1-0 the opposition started to create clear chances and felt like they were still in the game.

The ball eventually did find its way in to the back of the net from a long range effort from Karl – two in two games for him and to the top of the top goal scorers competition for the season with 6 followed closely by Adam, Ryu and Johnny quick on his heels and making a push for the end of season trophy.

(Touch of Selhurst Park 96 about Glebes second)

So the game ended in victory 2-0 and the momentum still with the Gorillas on another day this could quite easily been 5/6/7 – 0 so Glebe finished the match slightly disappointed that their possession didn’t seem to be bringing the desired amount of goals but in fairness this was a solid away win either way.

So that makes it back to back away wins for the gorillas and if they can beat Abbortsford Wolves away on Saturday they will be 5th in the ladder with two games in hand over Abbortsford so next week is a MASSIVE game as far as the league table is concerned. The team above Abbortsford who are currently 4th in the ladder (Division 1 finals) are Liverpool who have lost their last three games. If the Gorillas can beat Abbortsford next weekend and Liverpool’s slump continues then Gorillas could potentially find themselves 5 points behind the Division 1 finals spots with a game in hand with 4 games left to play.

If Glebe can put a run of victories together from now until the end of the season then they will find themselves in the top 4 which will mean that they have gone from bottom to the division 1 finals which would be an incredible turnaround.

Next week’s game is completely a must win for the Gorillas if they want ambitions of a top 4 finish to remain alive- watch this space!