Another strong performance with a disappointing outcome

Having put in some strong performances in recent weeks Glebe reserves were intent on putting some points on the board with an opportunity to climb a few places up the league with a win.

This week Glebe welcomed back a few absent faces with Conor returning from injury, Damo back from suspension (collecting another yellow in this game just for good measure) and Flynny back from …. no idea, just AWOL.

Cory was back between the sticks for a cameo after a few weeks of absence and prior to his month in USA. Along the back line we saw the familiar faces of Oli, Tritto and Guy aided by Sam who filled in at left back. Down the flanks were Gupta and Luke with a midfield three of Treds, Damo and Neil just in behind James who led the line. Backing up was Jason accompanied by the returning Conor and Flynny.

It was a beautifully sunny winters day as the game kicked off and a high intensity performance from both sides set in straight from the first whistle. Abbotsford had the best of the first few chances and went 1-0 up when a counter attack outnumbered the Gorillas defensive players. The work rate from Glebe didn’t drop however and the determination to give the opposition no time on the ball continued. Coupled with a few patches of quality possessional play led to a few chances of their own. Midway through the half the hard work payed off as Damo converted one of Tritto’s trademark throw ins. The first few chances off the throw weren’t properly cleared and the ball dropped to Damo about 10 yards out to head the ball home and equalize the game. Much more of the same followed including Glebes second as another Tritto throw this time fell straight to Damo and he converted first time with a bicycle like kick over his head and into the far corner. A great finish and one that enabled Glebe to go into halftime ahead.

The focus of the team talk was to praise the workman like performance of all the players and to stress the importance of more of the same if we were going to come out victorious. It was such a close game to that point that only Glebes superior work rate had brought them into halftime just ahead.

The second half started as it had finished at a high tempo and both teams fighting hard to come out on top. Unfortunately Abbotsford’s fitness was to prove the difference as the Gorillas faded more and more as the half went on. As the Wolves got more time on the ball they were able to create better chances and two break away goals put them ahead. Despite a number of last ditch set pieces from Glebe to try and tie up the match before the final whistle it wasn’t to be and another defeat was the end result.

Again a disappointing outcome from what was otherwise an enjoyable game. The hard work from the Glebe team cannot be questioned and they show glimpses of being a real force in this league. It was great to hear a member of the oppositions squad say that they felt we were a far more improved club this season and that whilst in the past they may have seen our fixture as an easy three points that we are a far tougher team to face now. Whilst that is encouraging to hear, we need to get back to the training field to address all our shortcomings to ensure we can end the season as strongly as possible. We know where our weaknesses are now and owe it to one another to add a bit more quality to our workman like performances.