Match Report Sunday 12th May V Liverpool Res

Whilst i pop some pills and dream up a creative overview of this weekends reserve grade performance to rival Karl’s for the first grade you’ll have to make do with this …

Glebe Reserves started the weekend 3rd in the league on the back of two clean sheets and high on confidence. Whilst only 12 players were able to make the journey to Bark Huts due to Mothers Day commitments, a strong 11 took the field knowing that they were to face one of the better sides in the league in this make up game. A team who often finish near the top of the league and could comfortably score goals if Glebe were not focused and committed throughout. It was to be a good benchmark test to show how far we have come since last season.

Disappointingly, dispite a spirited start,  two early goals were conceded due to tight off side calls going the wrong way and tidy one on one finishes being put away. Encouragingly however, whilst the Glebe teams of seasons gone by would have admitted defeat after the first 15mins, in turn going down to double figures, this new and improved, resilient side fought back and worked together to fix up the mistakes that had been made early on.

Glebe began to nullify the very direct Liverpool attacks and play the far more attractive passing game that they are becoming famous for. When Glebe get their passing possession going, few teams can manage and at times they had the Liverpool defense without an answer. Damo and Omar once again worked tirelessly, on a blisteringly hot autumn afternoon, to break up the play in midfield and build some good passing possession between the midfield and attack. The front two of Jason and James along with Luke and Oli on the flanks listened well to pre match direction, all focusing on controlling the ball to help breed quality in their distribution. This improved the possession percentages in the the final third and Glebe were eventually rewarded with a well taken corner from Omar which Liverpool turned in to their own net under the pressure of James steaming in at the far post. With time still to go until half time and momentum in Glebes favor it was disappointing when once again a break away direct ball from Liverpool was capitalized on just before the break with them once again beating the offside trap.

A productive half time discussion followed, with errors being identified and solutions discussed resulting in a revved up Gorillas side reemerging mentally undefeated.

An end to end second half followed with chances created from both teams to score. The Gorillas back line of Satch, Connor, Chris and Steve worked tirelessly and held firm to fix the offside errors from the first half and marshaled by the dominant debutant keeper of Jamie (even making a penalty save to justify a dodgy decision!) kept Liverpool’s chances to a minimum and most frustrated snap shots from distance. Unfortunately, even with substitute flynny joining the attack and  going close, Glebe were unable to reduce the deficit and so the game finished as it was at half time, 3-1.

A disappointing result but a spirited, disciplined performance in which each player worked incredibly hard to improve and learn from the mistakes that were made. If we continue to play as we have to date this season, working hard as a unit on the field and intent on improving on the training pitch, we will sit nearer the top than we do the bottom by the end. Confident of some silverware come September, Glebe Reserves go into next weekends fixture against Abbotsford ready to get back on track with another 3 points.