First Grade bow out of the Cup

After a cruel loss last weekend the Gorillas arrived at Bark Huts reserve in a gleaming new outfit of Glebe purple with a hint of silver which led locals to talk about silverware this year and why not in the cup.

Unfortunately for Glebe the side again missed key players in Rob ‘Marrage’ Limpar, Johnny ‘I love working in shit over the match’ Evans, Gav ‘Taking the misses away for a romantic one even though I’m vice-captain’ McColl, Padriag ‘Jet lagged as fell asleep be there later’ Houlihan, Adam ‘Not sure of his reasons – still quiet new so no bother’ Burns, and Stuart ‘I prefer GAA anyway’ Hanway.

Luckily for the large Naggs Head female supporters of the Gorillas local Pin up Tristan Lopes with his matching purple trim boots was back along with Karl Rowlands away for three weeks and with Jamie Big Nev. Christophe Blanchys French female admirers did not come in mass this week for a change as according to OK Magazine the female following for the young French Casanova decided not to turn up as it was simply too windy.

So Glebe looked strong playing their usual formation with Big Nev in Goal, Chopper Lyle Harris at right back after almost clean banging the opposition out on the Friday in a local tavern, Conor the bionic man, Tristan ‘looking more like a midfielder with his new barnet chop’ and Scott Hinchcliffe at left back looking dashing as always. The midfield welcomed Chris Ellis on to the right, Bob ‘the water carrier’ Graham Souness, Karl and Ryu on the left with James up top.

The game started with a fast pace and with both sides creating chances to open the scoring. It was obvious that from the first whistle that the referee was going to be the best we have had all year – a real strong game had from the man in the middle. It was a real shame that the assistant referee was not as talented as he clearly didn’t understand the offside rule and had to have it explained to him by the man in the middle half way through the first half when James was gifted a pass from the Balmain defence in an offside position.

Early chances were had by James but unfortunately he had left his shooting boots back home. Scott Arnorld was providing good width on the left and there was plenty of energy shown in the midfield – Glebe started to become unplayable at times. Karl Rowlands literally tackled his own player to get the ball from which he almost scored and James and Ryu both peppered the opposition’s goal regularly. After both teams coming close the sides went in to the break scoreless with Glebe having the better of the first period.

Glebe didn’t come out in the second half with the same composure and found themselves a goal down early on. Glebe’s response was strong the ball broke down the right on the counter attack the ball was squared to Karl Rowlands and his shot was too powerful for the keeper and eventually found itself in the net after a strong hand 1-1.

The game was on a knife edge with both sides being evenly matched in fairness, Glebe conceded a corner and it resulted in Balmain scoring a quite fortuitous goal off the heel of the oncoming attacker. 2-1 Balmain and that’s how it ended Glebe brought Dave Brunker on for Chris Ellis who put a magnificent shift in off the wing, Dutchy came on for James who also put a massive shift in and came very close to getting the equalizer. Padriag Houlihan who was suffering from jet lag and will be expecting to start next week come on for Karl who was suffering with cramp.

So no Silverware as far as the Cup is concerned for Glebe this year but in fairness the side will be expecting a result next week against Randwick as they will be welcoming back Johnny, Adam, Gavin and a non jet lagged Padriag. Big things are expected from Glebe when at full strength and with noticeable improvements to the side with Big Nev between the sticks the Glebe Gorillas will want to turn all of their potential in to a reality – sleeping giants or hopefuls next week will give us a great indication to how far this team has come.