Three points get Glebe Reserves back on track

After a few disappointing results in recent weeks the reserve grade were keen to turn their decent performances into results and climb the league. Randwick has for a few seasons now been a fixture Glebe would confidently approach but they have improved this year and complacency would be our biggest enemy.

With a familiar line up of Cory in goal, Oli, Guy, Tritto & Steve along the back, Luke, Treds, Neil, Christophe and Gupta in midfield and Matt up front Glebe took to the field eager to get a win. Despite a strong start and dominant early possession from Glebe it was Randwick that took the first goal of the day on what was almost their first attack. Fortunately it was far too soon in the game to dishearten the Glebe team who went back to their job and focused the game in the final third of the pitch. The breakthrough finally came when a cross from the right struck the hand of a defender inside their box and skipper Treds stepped up to confidently drill the ball into the bottom right corner. With the game back in the balance and the early mistake behind them Glebe continued to control the game without being able to convert one of their many chances before the break.

After a relaxed halftime team talk with patience highlighted as key to the end result, Glebe re-took the field and straight back to the task in hand. A slight reshuffle of personnel was also in order after Cory redecorated their orchard with the contense of the previous nights dinner. Treds dropped in between the sticks and Mike made his return from a long absence through injury to fill in midfield. Gorillas patience paid off as it wasn’t long before Neil finished off a neat piece of play down the right flank resulting in a cross from the ever improving Luke. His pace continued to trouble their left back who could’t contain him and coupled with Olis forward runs this is where Glebe got a lot of their opportunities during the game.

Against the run of play Randwick got back into it midway through the second half when the Glebe defence parted like the red sea and presented a one of one opportunity to Randwicks centre forward who placed the past Glebes stand in keeper. Their resurgence didn’t last long through as Neil got his second shortly afterwards which ended any hopes Randwick appeared to have to get something out of the game. Glebe then ended in game in style with the substitutions of Chris Paton and Sam joining in resulting in Sams first of the season – a cool left foot finish at the back post right on the final whistle.

Despite the disappointment of a few sloppy goals conceded it was great to get back to winning ways and build some confidence going into the back end of the season. A finals spot is still within grasp and Glebe must ensure they capitalise on as many points as possible from the last few weekends of the normal season.